23 March 2017
Mainstay Medical Publishes 2016 Full Year Results and Business Update
- ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial - on track to complete enrolment around the end of 2017, with data availability in 2018
- First sale and implant of ReActiv8 in Germany announced in February 2017
- CE Marking based on positive results from ReActiv8-A Clinical Trial, one year data showed performance maintained
- Completion of €30m private placement in June 2016
- Cash at hand on 31 December 2016 - $36.7m
Dublin – Ireland, 23 March 2017 – Mainstay Medical International plc (“Mainstay” or the “Company”, Euronext Paris: MSTY.PA and ESM of the Irish Stock Exchange: MSTY.IE), a medical device company focused on bringing to market ReActiv8®, an implantable restorative neurostimulation system to treat people with disabling Chronic Low Back Pain (“CLBP”), announces today the publication of its 2016 Annual Report.
Peter Crosby, CEO of Mainstay, said: “We are pleased to have moved forward to the commercial phase of Mainstay’s development. Our ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial is on track and is a key step towards commercialization in the US, our most significant target market. Early in 2017, we began commercialization in Europe, with the first sale and implantation of ReActiv8 in Germany, and look forward to gaining experience from our focused activities in this first market ahead of potential expansion to other territories.”
- Enrollment in the ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial commenced in September 2016 and the first subject was implanted on 6 October 2016. The ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial is an international, multi-center, prospective randomized sham-controlled triple blinded trial with one-way crossover, conducted under an Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The purpose of the ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial is to gather data in support of an application for pre-market approval (PMA) to the FDA, a key step towards the commercialization of ReActiv8 in the US. Summary details of the ReActiv8-B Trial, including enrollment criteria and a list of sites, can be found at https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT02577354.
- We are pleased with the progress of the ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial. We have selected 27 Clinical Trial sites of which 18 are enrolling subjects and the remainder are working with us to begin enrolling as soon as possible. 75 subjects have been enrolled of whom 22 have been implanted with ReActiv8 and 9 subjects are either awaiting implant or are still being assessed. Based on our experience to date, we estimate completion of enrollment in the ReActiv8-B Trial around the end of 2017, with data availability in 2018, which is in line with our target.
- The first sale and implant of ReActiv8 in Germany was announced on 1 February 2017. The implant was performed by Dr. med. Francis Kilian, Orthopedic and Neurosurgeon at the Catholic Hospital Koblenz-Montabaur in Koblenz Germany. We are progressing discussions with a number of customers across Germany. Our European commercial activities for ReActiv8 are initially focused on Germany where we aim to drive adoption of ReActiv8 in a select number of high volume multi-disciplinary spine care centers which will become reference sites.
- During 2016, we received CE Marking approval for ReActiv8 based on positive results from the ReActiv8-A Clinical Trial. This Clinical Trial demonstrated a clinically important, statistically significant and lasting improvement in pain, disability and quality of life in people with disabling Chronic Low Back Pain and few other treatment options. One year results announced in 2016 showed sustained performance.
- In January 2017, we applied for regulatory approval to commercialize ReActiv8 in Australia.
- During 2016, two new US Patents were issued, bringing the total current number of issued US Patents in the Mainstay portfolio to eight.
On 17 June 2016, we announced the completion of a private placement of €30 million (approximately $33.7 million) through a placement of 2,307,694 new ordinary shares with new and existing shareholders (the “Placement”). On 11 August 2016, we announced the publication of a prospectus (the “Prospectus”) in connection with the Placement. Cash on hand at 31 December 2016 was $36.7 million.
As at 31 December 2016, the Group had fully drawn down the debt facility of $15 million with IPF Partners. This facility was announced during 2015, and the last tranche of $4.5 million was received in July 2016 following CE Marking approval of ReActiv8.
Operating expenses were $16.8 million for the year and have increased by $3.9 million compared to 2015 primarily due to costs associated with the commencement and ramp up of the ReActiv-8 B Clinical Trial, and with commercialization activities. Operating cash outflows for 2016 were $16.7 million.
We are pleased with the progress of the ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial. Enrollment is well under way and we estimate that enrollment will complete around the end of 2017 with data availability in 2018, which is in line with our target. If successful, the ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial will yield level 1 evidence of efficacy, which we will use to support an application for PMA approval to allow for commercialization in the US. We also anticipate the data from this Clinical Trial will help with expansion of commercialization of ReActiv8 outside the US.
The initial focus for our European commercial activities for ReActiv8 is on Germany where we aim to drive adoption of ReActiv8 in a select number of high volume multi-disciplinary spine care centers. We have recruited a direct sales force, which is supported by our team of experienced field clinical specialists, and we are working with customers to integrate ReActiv8 into their routine clinical practice and provide a new treatment option for the many people suffering from Chronic Low Back Pain. As we gain experience and momentum, and as we identify other early opportunities to build our business, we will consider expansion to other sites and countries.
Mainstay is a medical device company focused on bringing to market an innovative implantable restorative neurostimulation system, ReActiv8®, for people with disabling Chronic Low Back Pain (CLBP). The Company is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland. It has subsidiaries operating in Ireland, the United States, Australia and Germany, and its ordinary shares are admitted to trading on Euronext Paris (MSTY.PA) and the ESM of the Irish Stock Exchange (MSTY.IE).
About chronic low back pain
One of the recognised root causes of CLBP is impaired control by the nervous system of the muscles that dynamically stabilise the spine in the low back, and an unstable spine can lead to back pain. ReActiv8 is designed to electrically stimulate the nerves responsible for contracting these muscles and thereby help to restore muscle control and improve dynamic spine stability, allowing the body to recover from CLBP.
People with CLBP usually have a greatly reduced quality of life and score significantly higher on scales for pain, disability, depression, anxiety and sleep disorders. Their pain and disability can persist despite the best available medical treatments, and only a small percentage of cases result from an identified pathological condition or anatomical defect that may be correctable with spine surgery. Their ability to work or be productive is seriously affected by the condition and the resulting days lost from work, disability benefits and health resource utilisation put a significant burden on individuals, families, communities, industry and governments.
Further information can be found at www.mainstay-medical.com
CAUTION – in the United States, ReActiv8 is limited by federal law to investigational use only.
Peter Crosby, Chief Executive Officer and Hugh Kavanagh, Chief Financial Officer, will host a conference call and Q&A for analysts and investors at 12:30pm GMT (1:30pm CET, 8:30am EST) on 23 March 2017. The call will be conducted in English and a replay will be available for 30 days.
Dial-ins for the call are outlined below:
Europe: + 44 203 139 4830
Ireland: + 353 1 696 8154
France: + 33 2 9092 0977
USA: + 1 718 873 9077
Participant PIN: 75508149#
PR and IR Enquiries:
Consilium Strategic Communications (international strategic communications – business and trade media)
Chris Gardner, Mary-Jane Elliott, Jessica Hodgson, Hendrik Thys
Tel: +44 203 709 5700 / +44 7921 697 654
FTI Consulting (for Ireland)
Jonathan Neilan Tel: +353 1 663 3686
NewCap (for France)
Tel: +33 1 44 71 20 40
Tel: +49 2102 1485368
LifeSci Advisors, LLC
Tel: + 1 (212) 915-2578
Forward looking statements
This announcement includes statements that are, or may be deemed to be, forward looking statements. These forward looking statements can be identified by the use of forward looking terminology, including the terms “anticipates”, “believes”, “estimates”, “expects”, “intends”, “may”, “plans”, “projects”, “should”, “will”, or “explore” or, in each case, their negative or other variations or comparable terminology, or by discussions of strategy, plans, objectives, goals, future events or intentions. These forward looking statements include all matters that are not historical facts. They appear throughout this announcement and include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the Company’s intentions, beliefs or current expectations concerning, among other things, the Company’s results of operations, financial position, prospects, financing strategies, expectations for product design and development, regulatory applications and approvals, reimbursement arrangements, costs of sales and market penetration
By their nature, forward looking statements involve risk and uncertainty because they relate to future events and circumstances. Forward looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and the actual results of the Company’s operations, and the development of its main product, the markets and the industry in which the Company operates, may differ materially from those described in, or suggested by, the forward looking statements contained in this announcement. In addition, even if the Company’s results of operations, financial position and growth, and the development of its main product and the markets and the industry in which the Company operates, are consistent with the forward looking statements contained in this announcement, those results or developments may not be indicative of results or developments in subsequent periods. A number of factors could cause results and developments of the Company to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward looking statements including, without limitation, the successful launch and commercialization of ReActiv8, the progress and success of the ReActiv8-B Clinical Trial, general economic and business conditions, the global medical device market conditions, industry trends, competition, changes in law or regulation, changes in taxation regimes, the availability and cost of capital, the time required to commence and complete clinical trials, the time and process required to obtain regulatory approvals, currency fluctuations, changes in its business strategy, political and economic uncertainty. The forward-looking statements herein speak only at the date of this announcement.
*** For full financials please see attached pdf documents in English, French and German ***